I’ve learned that setting goals in my personal life gave direction, enthusiasm, and fulfillment daily. It also helped when I had goals in various aspects and not just in one area.
I remember setting a goal of being #1 in class with the highest grade average. I studied hard and “burned the midnight oil”. Well, I failed and was disappointed. I was crushed when I found out I was only #2! (Duh, what was I thinking?)
Looking back, I knew I wasted a couple of days living in my misery. Reaching #2 was a great accomplishment, which I may not have attained if I didn’t set a goal in the first place.
I believe each person should set goals in 5 main aspects of one’s life. They are the following, (all beginning with the letter “F”):
1. FAITH: I must develop a faithful and fruitful spiritual life
No one wakes up one day with a strong relationship with God. No one suddenly becomes a person with great bible insights. Spiritual growth is intentional, not accidental. I pray that at the end of my life, I will be described as:
- Faithful: BE all that God wanted me to BE
- Fruitful: DO all that God wanted me to DO
2. FRIENDS: I must build or restore relationships with other people
Though I am more of an introvert, I am still created to be a social being. I can be an encouragement to someone with my words or even with my presence. They can also encourage me. It’s good to have friendship goals that:
- Build: Meet new people and maintain current ones that bring mutual encouragement
- Restore: Mend strained relationships so no ill-feelings remain
3. FAMILY: I must create a loving relationship with my spouse and children
I have to take responsibility in creating an atmosphere that models love and respect with each family member. I cannot depend on media nor the education system to teach my family the Christ-like values I want to see in them.
4. FITNESS: I must be fit in order to accomplish the goals I set
I will never reach my potential if I am not prepared for the challenges I face everyday. So many factors can go against every aspect of my life. I’ve got to be fit in 3 areas:
- Physical: Energy so I can last the whole day
- Intellectual: Knowledge and Wisdom so I can make the right decisions
- Emotional: Mental Stability so I can handle the strain and stress of life
5. FINANCES: I must steward the resources entrusted to me
This is one of the greatest challenges every person is going to face. No wonder Jesus talked about this topic a lot! I will make the choice whether to spend it, save it, share it, or sow it. (More of that in future blogs!).
I’m sure you’ve thought about these aspects of your life. I believe now’s the time for you to evaluate and set goals for each of them. If you do, you can start in your personal journey of a life with direction, enthusiasm and fulfillment. I encourage you to begin planning within the next 24 hours. Let me know about it!
If you join me in this blog and write your comments, I’ll know what topics of interest you have that I can write about.
Be encouraged with this verse in Proverbs 16:3 “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.”
What aspect of your personal life needs some clear goals the most? Share some ideas of what goals you plan to have.
Posted on: August 31, 2014